MFA Application Requirements Prerequisite: a bachelor's degree in studio art or related field, and/or a strong portfolio and statement of purpose.
• Two (2) Letters of Recommendation;
• A 250-500 word Statement of Purpose describing your artistic intent, conceptual foundation, research interests, and impetus to complete an MFA degree;
• Digital Portfolio with Image List; 20 images of artwork and/or up to 10 minutes of time-based work;
• Transcripts from all colleges and universities attended.
All applications must be submitted online through the Application for Graduate Study portal.
• Portfolios and supporting documents that cannot be uploaded through the Application for Graduate Study portal should be mailed to: Columbian College Graduate Admissions 801 22nd Street, NW Phillips Hall, Suite 107 Washington, DC 20052
• Digital Portfolio Guidelines: The portfolio should be submitted digitally with images formatted as JPGs, 1200 x 800 px in scale, 150 ppi maximum resolution. Time-based work should be no more than 10 minutes in length and presented in a commonly accessible format or via secure Vimeo link. Powerpoint portfolio documentation will not be reviewed. Name your files in the following manner: FirstnameLastnameSlide#.jpg Example: PatSmith1.jpg Include an image list with the following text: file name, title of work, media, size, date of completion, and a brief description of the work.
• Portfolios may be sent on a CD, DVD or flash drive and must be viewable on a Mac computer. Powerpoint portfolio documentation will not be reviewed.
Fall semester deadline—February 1
Fellowships deadline—January 5
Spring semester deadline –October 1
For full GWU admission requirements and to apply, please click here. The links to the online application system can be found under "Apply Now" in the left column.
Who do I contact for more info?
Associate Professor of Photography
Director of Graduate Studies: Fine Arts